Thursday, July 3, 2008

What was I thinking?


Yesterday morning I took a good look at the photo of the orphan square (churn dash) wallhanging that I posted on Tuesday...the binding looks terrible! Did you ever have that feeling all along that the project wasn't going right? The plaid fabric design didn't match the grain lines so I couldn't get the binding to cut right. Then when I was putting it on it wasn't sewing well. But I just kept going. I knew better but I kept dreaming that it would magically look ok.


So yesterday, I took the hanging from the wall and ripped off the old binding. I searched through my stash to try to find a green that would go just right and still with the other fabrics...I was lucky...or maybe it is just that I have so many fat quarters of green. Anway, I replaced the binding. It still isn't the best - I think ripping the old off may have stretched some of the border fabric out of shape but I think it looks better.

4 comments:

Pat (Riker) said...

Bindings...I like doing them. I know...weird!!! It seems like I am the resident "go-to" person for our little group here when it comes to getting bindings to look just right. Maybe I can give you some tips sometime.

eileen said...

This new binding looks good.

I always like the look of gingham bias binding, but sometimes the fabric doesn't have a large enough area to cut the strips.

You did good in fixing it. I know what it's like to always have something bothering you.. you always end up tearing it out anyways!

Ulla said...

Now that I compare the old and the new binding, I can see you did right to change it. If you hadn't told us, I wouldn't have noticed. Luckily it was just a small quilt!

Glenna at Hollyhock Quilts said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! It's always good to know that others have dealt with this and survived it.

Your blog is great! May I add it to my favorites on my blog? Thanks again---