Friday, October 31, 2008

Rules

I have been visiting blogs,especially Eileen's Attic, where quilters are using vintage fabric. I think what is fun about vinatge blocks and fabric is the way the fabric was used. Quilters were economical in their use and designs especially when the quilts were to be utilitarian. I mentioned on Eileen's blog that the quilt police weren't around then...quilters often used what fabric they had because they couldn't afford to buy specialty fabric, they didn't always cut on the bias because they didn't want to waste anything.... I have enjoyed quilting this past year because I have tried to go into my stash and use what I had. Sometimes, I bought a piece or two to fill in but enjoyed the challenge of looking at my fabric in new ways.

I tend to be a traditional quilter who likes old patterns and old ways. Just over the last few years have I moved from mostly hand piecing to machine piecing. I used to just machine piece when I was in a hurry or I knew the project would get a lot of washing like a baby quilt....

I have a plaque on my wall that says, IF YOU OBEY ALL THE RULES, YOU'LL MISS ALL THE FUN. It applies to quilting and life!

7 comments:

Eileen said...

I totally agree with you 100%. I was just telling Belinda from Brown Dirt Cottage that I find much more fulfillment and enjoyment working with these old scraps.. even more than the new. And I press my seams open.. not all one way. So I totally break the rules.

Browndirtcottage said...

PREACH IT SISTER!!

Nanette Merrill said...

I totally agree with your post. I get tired of quilts using all one line of "new" fabric. They are boring because there is no depth there. Everything is so "commercial". My patterns, though well recieved, don't get picked up as much because no fabric company is backing them. It is hard to be an indpendent.

quilterpolly said...

great words of wisdom:)

Abby and Stephanie said...

Hi Kathy~ My cottages arrived today and I wanted to thank you. I love it.

Annette said...

Great words!! Also wanted to thank you for your little cottage block you made. It arrived today and is so cute.

em's scrapbag said...

I agree. Nix the quilt police. There is so much to be learned from the past.