Tuesday, August 10, 2010

time flies

Yesterday as I was sitting at my sewing machine, I pondered how quilting has changed in the 30 years since I started my first quilt. That quilt, like my newest one, was red, white, and blue.
For that first one,  I cut each piece with a template and hand pieced each block. The queen sized quilt was hand quilted.
On my newest quilt the pieces were cut with a GO cutter thanks to my friend, Pat.http://www.alittleofthisandalittleofpat.blogspot.com/ Then I sat and chain pieced some of the blocks. It is amazing how fast the quilt is moving along.
Thirty years ago, rotary cutters weren't used and now we have the Go cutters...what will make quilting faster in the future?

Nothing can take the place of feeling the needle move through the fabric when hand piecing.
I love to do needle turn applique ....but now machine applique and fused pieces are all the rage.....
What are your thoughts about changes in quilting?

Today my grandson is coming so I probably won't get much done but I can't wait to get back to my newest creation.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

well, I've only been quilting about 5 years, but in that short time, alot has changed for me, I've taught myself to sew and quilt, and still to this day I'll learn something new.

wordmama said...

I've only been actively interested in quilting for 15 years. I remember when the rotary cutter first came out--I saw a snippet about it in Glamour magazine of all places!

I think it's interesting how my interests have changed. I keep magazines and reread them and often I find that different projects appeal to me on my second or third reading. (I jot down on a sticky note which projects I'm keeping the magazine for.)

Originally I did machine piecing and learned hand quilting. Now I prefer machine piecing and hand applique. I do both machine and hand quilting.

Who knows what I'll be doing in another 15 years?

Pat said...

My quilting is only coming up on 5 years, so I don't recall the days prior to the rotary cutter. I do know I LOVE my GO cutter, though!!! I can't imagine not having it now.

Just JaiCi's Crafts said...

I love that quilting is making a "come-back"!! A few years ago, it seemed to be dying out, but now everywhere I turn people are learning, or re-learning, or picking it up again!
I thought it was going to be a lost art...I was so wrong!! And I'm glad I was. I keep *hoping* for a GO, cause it would make things so much faster for me...maybe one day...

Needled Mom said...

It is amazing how things have changed. I am always surprized at how the fabrics have changed. Also our choice for threads is so much greater now too.

Winona said...

I hated the rotary cutter when it first came out. Now that I have found out how to use it, I wouldn't want to do without it. I used to draw around cardboard templates and cut the pieces out with scissors. LOL Things are constantly changing. Winona

Quilting Lab said...

One of the biggest changes is the fabric and the availability of it. I think my first quilt or two had "material" from cut up clothes and a little from a store. Joann stores were around close to 30 yrs. ago but the quilt shops are much newer. Fabric is more plentiful and also much better quality for the most part!
Sherry