Sunday, August 1, 2010

question

I haven't blogged for a while as I was away and then had company....they came the day after I got home!
I had a wonderful time with visiting and guests but now it is time to get back to quilting.

I have searched for an answer to this question to no avail. Maybe some of you who have had experience judging and being judged can offer some advice.

When repeating an applique block throughout a whole quilt, are slight differences in the blocks acceptable? For instance, a stem is placed in a slightly different position on a second block but the block is overall the same pattern. Most of the judging criteria I have found stress construction....thread invisibility, stitch size, color choices, etc. Nothing is ever mentioned about this topic.

I am such a perfectionist that I get discouraged when one block is not exactly like another.

4 comments:

Just JaiCi's Crafts said...

I think a little variation adds character! My mom always does one WAY different because then no one notices the slight imperfections on the rest...
Good luck on this.

Unknown said...

can you email me? tonyahmay@aol.com I didn't find a email address for you on your profile.

Lurline said...

I am by no means a judge, but have had quite a bit of experience with quilt shows - I too bash myself about little things. I'm sure if it looks acceptable amongst all the other stitching, it will be fine - after all this is handmade - lets not lose the charm!
Hugs - Lurline♥

SheilaC said...

I am no expert, but I find that I see little things in my own quilts that no one else even notices. Embrace the little differences and enjoy creating :)

SheilaC